Tryptophan is an essential amino acid required by the body to make the neurotransmitter serotonin. The body uses tryptophan to make 5-HTP, and then this gets converted into serotonin. Oftentimes this process is not efficient and does not produce adequate serotonin. Therefore, an increased intake of 5-HTP becomes important. Numerous scientific studies show 5-HTP is of benefit in individuals with mood disorders. Our 5-HTP is from the seeds of the Griffonia simplicifolia plant. 5-HTP has many advantages over L-tryptophan: besides being safer to produce and arguably more potent, it can cross the very selective blood-brain barrier more easily than L-tryptophan. Once it passes through the blood-brain barrier it can help increase levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter, whose levels are positively associated with mood.
- Provides 100mg of 5-Hydroxytryptophan.
- Sourced from European standardized Griffonia bean extract.
- Contains synergistic nutrients vitamin C and B6.
- 5-HTP is more efficient at crossing the blood-brain barrier, therefore it is a more effective way to support the synthesis of serotonin in the brain.
- Serotonin is responsible for regulating appetite and mood, and serves as a precursor to melatonin a hormone involved in regulating the sleep cycle.
Serotonin helps support a more balanced emotional state.
- 5-HTP is a more efficient way to increase serotonin levels, as tryptophan must compete with other amino acids as part of protein in the diet for absorption.
- Some of the tryptophan is used to make the vitamin niacin, and may be taken up by cells other than brain cells as a source of amino acids.
- Studies show 5-HTP is safe and effective for supporting mood, healthy food intake, and a better outlook on life.